The inclusion of Google Drive as an integral a part of the Recordsdata software — and corresponding directories — on a Chromebook is a giant a part of what makes the platform so versatile. However that doesn’t essentially imply that everyone who buys a Chrome OS laptop computer goes to additionally need to use Google Drive. So studying find out how to disconnect Google Drive out of your Chromebook might show helpful.
Because it seems, Google additionally understands this and makes it extremely simple. That’s if the place to look within the working system’s varied menus. Fortunately sufficient, that’s precisely what this information units out to do. So, no matter purpose you may need for disconnecting Drive from Chrome OS, you’re in the fitting place.
Why would you need to do that?
Now, the explanations somebody would possibly need to disconnect Google Drive from a Chromebook are diverse throughout the gamut from how some simply don’t belief Google that a lot to only a private desire. Perhaps you utilize a distinct cloud service for no matter purpose or are setting the system up for a kid. And don’t essentially need them to have entry to all your information.
Or, conversely, possibly having Google Drive linked will make it too tempting to simply retailer each file there. And that might finally result in undesirable prices related to shopping for extra storage.
Regardless of the case, it’s pretty simple to do since Chromebooks supply each native and cloud storage. And the native storage, lately, has turn into far more adept and conventional. Permitting information to be created immediately in an on-device listing relatively than counting on the Downloads folder. Which comes with caveats of its personal if the storage in sure places begins getting too full. So there’s actually no purpose to not if that’s your desire.
What’s extra, Google Drive continues to be out there on-line and in an app format, for many who want that as an alternative. So it isn’t as if eliminating the connection there’ll lead to every little thing saved there being erased.
Right here’s find out how to disconnect and reconnect Google Drive
As famous above, disconnecting Google Drive is simple on a Chromebook. In reality, it takes just some steps and might be achieved immediately within the Settings app.
Disconnect Google Drive out of your Chromebook
To disconnect Google Drive out of your Chromebook;
- Open up the Settings app. There are a number of methods to perform this. For example, by tapping or clicking on the concentric circle icon on the Chrome OS shelf to open the launcher and looking or navigating to the app. Or by merely clicking or tapping on the dock after which choosing the gear-shaped Settings icon from the ensuing card-style pop-up, as proven in our instance photographs.
- Within the ensuing Settings app window, use the left-hand sidebar to pick out the “Superior” possibility, opening up a brand new vary of choices
- Faucet or click on on “Recordsdata”
- Close to the highest of the ensuing menu, faucet or click on on the toggle change subsequent to the “Disconnect Google Drive account” possibility, the toggle change will flip blue
- Open the Recordsdata app in your Chromebook. You must see that the Google Drive directories are not within the app. The change will likely be fast, requiring no extra steps from the consumer. No different Recordsdata app performance could have modified
Reconnect Google Drive to your Chromebook
Now, it isn’t clear precisely how utilizing this characteristic to disconnect Google Drive from a Chromebook works. On the very least, it stays unclear whether or not or not utilizing the characteristic is solely a visible change or adjustments issues below the hood. Regardless, there could also be moments when entry to the cloud storage service through the net or app isn’t sufficient.
Or, alternatively, there’s additionally an opportunity that the service was unintentionally eliminated out of your Chromebook. Happily, bringing the listing again to the Recordsdata app is a cakewalk as properly.
- Open up Settings, following the steps above
- Use the left-hand sidebar to navigate to the “Superior” part after which to the “Recordsdata” phase of the Settings app
- Inside Recordsdata, click on or faucet the toggle change subsequent to the “Disconnect Google Drive account” possibility. The toggle will flip grey
- Open the Recordsdata app in your Chromebook. Google Drive will seem as soon as once more as its personal listing on the backside of the left-hand sidebar inside Recordsdata
You may select to make use of a distinct cloud or native storage as an alternative
Now, for those who occur to make the most of a distinct cloud storage possibility, that may substitute Google Drive within the Recordsdata app. Particularly, showing as its personal listing on the backside of the left-hand sidebar within the Recordsdata app. Studying find out how to substitute Google Drive with one thing else is much less easy on a Chromebook, relying in your chosen service.
Among the many best apps to switch Google Drive with, whether or not you’re disabling it within the Settings menu or not, is Dropbox. And that’s as a result of all that’s required is for the Dropbox app to be put in. As soon as downloaded from the Google Play Retailer, and after a brief ready interval — ours was round 20-minutes, Dropbox seems within the Recordsdata app. And permits an identical stage of integration with Chrome OS as Google Drive.
So you’ll be able to merely work together with the information within the listing and any adjustments will mechanically sync up within the Cloud.
Microsoft’s OneDrive and Field.com will work together with the Recordsdata app similarly. Different apps might or might not work too. Or, relying on the app, they could solely be accessed through their respective apps. However, in fact, any service with an online interface might be accessed in Chrome, at any charge. So it must be pretty simple to switch Google Drive as the first cloud service.
Conversely, customers can even make the most of a plug-and-play exterior storage possibility. Whether or not with a microSD card, flash drive, or exterior onerous drive. And, in fact, SMB file share might be arrange by opening the Recordsdata app, tapping or clicking on the three-dot menu on the upper-right-hand facet of the UI, after which choosing “Providers.”